Wednesday, December 5, 2007

I miss Shasta

Shit happens. Sorry for the sailor-mouth mom, but sometimes that's the best word to describe specific situations. I'm asking for your prayers, even from those of you who don't pray, I would be grateful. Some of you may be aware that Shasta left Australia Sunday to be with her grandmother in Texas. Though it was right for her to go, the timing was so sad. Sunday was the day before we would leave to start phase 2 of the trip in New Zealand, then back to Sydney with our friend Grassie, then L.A. and home in time for Christmas. I know God has His perfect timing, and His reasons...and I know NZ will always be there for her to see later...but I really wanted this for her, and for us. We've gotten so close on this trip I feel like my better-half vanished, and now I've got to harden up. Shasta is one of the most self-less people I have ever met and I just think she deserves the world and all the good things in it. Please pray for her and her family during this time.

If you could, send one up for Hudson and I as well. We are still on this journey and in Wellington, NZ right now. Tomorrow we leave for the south island, where we have a stick-shift, 3-person campervan waiting for us. I am going to try to get us out of this but they are pretty strict on their no-money-back cancellation policies...so we may be stuck with it, and I am VERY nervous to drive the mountains with a stick. But God has gone before us already, since the minute Shasta and I first talked about uprooting our Texas lives...and now is the time for me to remember that. This is where my end of trust comes into play. And, I am so grateful I do not have to bare this alone. Hudson doesn't seem to love it when I call him my "spare-tire"...but God knew Shasta would have to leave, and I guess He didn't want me flying solo on this one. So that is just what I'll do. I have to conciously place my life in His hands and trust that He will take care of the next 10 days here.

BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA...how do I love thee? Let me count the ways.

Without making this blog entirely novel-length, let me attempt to wrap up my feelings on leaving. I love Brisbane with all my heart and I will never forget how she healed me. I got to explore her beaches, rainforests, mountains and food. I got to enjoy her beauty. And best of all...she introduced me to her people.

Chayah Gospel Church opened their arms wide open to us. As I was leaving our flat and looking it over one more time...I just swelled up with tears...because I was leaving more than a flat...I was leaving what had become my home. I already miss dinner with the Porters, crying and laughing with them, Anthony's latest costume and Holly's bright smile. I keep trying to say how much they have blessed us, how much I love and appreciate them, how generous they've been to complete strangers, what a big part of God's healing on me they've been....and I just cant figure out the right words. I dont know how to show Jane that I need her to live down the road from us in Texas so that we can be best friends and I can watch Miriam grow up. I need the singles, Josh, Vic, Marco, Geoff, Beth, to KNOW what an empty feeling I will have on Sunday afternoons without them. How much I will miss communion meals together. Every person there has left fingerprints on my heart that aches when I'm not with them.

Deck's Restaurant. Do the chefs from the pub have any idea how much we love them? I dont know how to explain to Ethel how much she cared for me after I quit the bakery. I never told Jacob that he was the best co-worker I ever had. Frankie, Matty, Adam, do you know we would give you the world if we could? And my pirate Maurice, so thoughtful and sweet and made me laugh in every conversation...I just cant express the impact he had on me, and teaching Shast about gumption. There are more too. The people of Brisbane were not just cool people I met on my trip. They were my family during my quarter-life-crisis-runaway...and they caught me, and loved me, and I miss them already.

Thank you so much to anybody who reads my rambles. I love you and miss you.