Friday, December 7, 2007

Road Trippin'

I don't have much time to write since I am in one of those internet cafe's in Christchurch, New Zealand. Its BEAUTIFUL here. And by beautiful I mean go put on Lord of the Rings in slow motion at the Omni theatre and you still won't understand how gorgeous the scenery is in person. And sheep...everywhere! We spent last week in Wellington on the North Island with my good friend Darby. She is one of my favorite people and I was so glad to get some time with her. It's a cool city, windy and cold, but tons of cafe's and artsy things. Nice for a visit but in the end I was glad Brisbane had been my work-visa of choice.

Yesterday was a big adventure for Hudson and I. Are you sitting down mom? Don't worry because I won't need to do this again, but it was such an incredible experience....here we go...We took the interislander ferry from Wellington to Picton...and we had no way to get from Picton to Christchurch to pick up our pre-rented campervan. A train would cost $100. The minimum car rental purchase is 7 days. We had heard hitch-hiking was common here...and I was with Hudson and felt safe...so we did!!! And in record time! I'm sure I looked like an expert out there with BOTH of my bags. How embarassing is that? Who is going to pick up a seemingly high-maintenance backpacker? I wished I had a sign that said, "You dont understand...I've lived in Australia for 4 months and I down-sized a LOT!!!" ......From the moment we stuck our first thumb in the air it took 11 minutes to get picked up and they took us about 30 minutes south. They were a cool couple that liked Kings of Leon like me! The second couple to pick us up only took 5 minutes and they were from Brazil...they asked if we could help out with gas, so we gave them $15 and they drove us 2 hours...the last hitch took 8 minutes to pick us up...we even had time to argue directions and pet horses alongside the road in those 8 minutes...thats when Andrew came along and took us the next 2.5 hours all the way into Christchurch. He was a really fun guy, about our age...his stereo had gone out and he was hoping we could keep him awake on the drive...so we helped each other out. I thanked God over and over for yesterday. I went to sleep smiling and grateful.

Today is saturday. We just picked up the campervan and Hudson is patiently making me watch his foot on the clutch...because my homework is to learn to drive this mother before we sleep tonight. AAH! Before I begin this next obstacle, can I just say how stupid I think it is that they even MAKE manual transmissions when automatics exist?? I dont care that they are supposed to be cheaper to make. Anyways...Lord willing we will see Milford Sound tomorrow and do some hang-gliding Monday. I decided to postpone the sky-diving until I can do it with Shasta...hang-gliding is cheaper too. I promise pictures as soon as I have some time. They will be WORTH the WAIT!!!!!