Sunday, January 2, 2011

What rhymes with 2011?

Happy New Year 2011!!! For the last three years I have spent New Year's Eve with the lovely Melanie and Alayna. I think it just began with us all wanting to get out of here for NYE and try some place else. What a joy this tradition has become! 2009 we went to Chicago, and through quite a random story, we met a one Kyle Wheeler, connected through Aaron Bell. Last year, we were Kyle-less, but had a great time in Albuquerque, NM visiting Lynn and baby Chase, and learning how to exit ski-lifts. THIS year we decided to keep it short, sweet, and cheap. Kyle lives in Austin now, so we held a NYE reunion there...especially since Darby and Randy already live there too! Could NYE be as fun if we were in a city we had already been to? ABSOLUTELY it could.

We got there Thursday night, and went to a fantastic dinner at Clay's duplex with Darby, Randy, and friends! Clay cooked a wonderful meal for us, there was a talent show, Apples to Apples, Catchphrase...I had so much fun. Then we went to Kyles and jumped on his trampoline until 3am before crashing. Kyle has the funnest house ever. In their front yard they have a trampoline, a swing built for two, 3 hammocks, a chiminea, grill and picnic tables. I've heard they even have movies outdoors sometimes when Aaron brings a projector home! I think I too need to shop on craigslist for my own outdoor playground!

Kyle is such a thoughtful host. Sometimes I think men are just THAT different from women in that their brain's don't work the same as ours...but then you meet someone like Kyle and faith is restored. When we got to his house he had all of our bed's already made up for us, towels laid out, and he had bought breakfast the next morning (which he also cooked for us). He was constantly checking on our comfort and making sure we had everything we wanted. We love him!

We woke up Friday ready to "hike" Mt.Bonnell. I guess I was expecting some kind of 30 minute minimum hike? It was actually only about a 3 minute flight of stairs. Boo.
 My new friend McKissick met up with us and I hope we didn't scare him off with our twisted humor! We also to played around the 360 bridge for a bit. I have GOT to get over my fear of heights someday. We ate lunch at Hopdoddy? A really great burger place, took a rest in Kyles hammocks, and then got cleaned up and dolled up for the big NYE.

Buenos Aires Cafe is where Kyle works, so we went and had a delicious and fancy dinner there. He even had a little personalized reservation card set on our table. Aww. Then we met up with Darby, Randy and Clay at Opa to ring in the New Year. Austin was really packed downtown, so Opa was perfect for being slightly removed from all of that.

 Yes, yes we DID wear the Happy New Year tiaras for the ENTIRE December 31st and January 1st.


 After Opa, we ended up at Beauty Bar and danced the night away. If you know me at all, you know I am NOT a dancer...but on New Year's Eve, dancing like mine is about as socially acceptable as the sequence shirt I was wearing. So, we had a great time, and made tons of new memories with some of my favorite people on the planet! When we got back to the house we hung out for a bit by the fire-lit chiminea and then fell asleep. A perfect evening with lovely friends.

 This is a view from the front porch of Melanie on the swing, New Year's Day.

We met Randy, went to Magnolia, and had a great breakfast with hilarious conversation before heading home. I give Austin 2011 NYE six thumbs up. I couldn't have asked for a sweeter time with each of these friends who are oh so important to me in their own ways. I am so grateful to God for the way He crosses paths. I know Randy, because we only worked together for a few months before I shipped off to Australia. I know Alayna and Melanie through SouthFM shows. I know Darby because she was the previous intern at a church I worked for. I know Kyle because Darby showed me a note Aaron wrote on facebook, and I replied to it, and Aaron gave Kyle our number on a New Year's Eve, in Chicago, two year's ago.

What if Randy had worked at the CVC a few months later? What if I hadn't kept in touch with Paco and SouthFM after high school? What if I had never gone to New Zealand to see Darby and read Aaron's note? What if we had decided to just stay in Dallas for NYE 2009?....All of these what if's could have produced different outcomes. But I think God knows what He's doing. I think He can see all the connection webs at one time. Whether He places people in their paths or we choose them I don't know. Perhaps it's a little of both? But either way, I love watching how God decides to allow people to be woven together. I hope He was glorified in our joy of loving the Earth He's created, the food He's given us, and the people He's made. Thank you so much Lord, for such a sweet time with sweet friends.