Sunday, May 6, 2012

Storyline, Portland



So there I was...standing in line to have my picture made with Donald Miller. I'd met him once before when I heard him speak a long time ago circa 2005 at some church in South Dallas. I'd played this scene in my mind over and over, searching for the perfect witty and memorable something to say...but nothing clever came to mind. In fact, the ONLY phrases entering my mind were the usual cliche ones like, "You are my favorite author", "One of your books told me to move to Australia", "Can we be best friends?", "Can I buy you dinner?", "Can I have your babies?", etc...

How do I truly express my love for the work of this man who has no idea how much his stories have impacted my brain? How often do people say things like, "You are my favorite author.", and mean it? Cause I would mean it. I like a lot of authors. I like a lot of books. But something about this guy's world shining through his content and writing style...its my favorite. Like if I went to prison and was only allowed one book for a long time it would be one of his, kind of favorite.

Patiently watching as person after person collects his autograph, (which I've never understood autographs outside of baseball cards but whatever) I finally make it to the front of the line and there we are, face to face, heart racing, palms sweaty, (quick Carisse, you're a clever girl, pull something out of your social skills hat, QUICK!). And, do you know what my 30 years of experience interacting with other human beings birthed for me friends? Something along the lines of...

"Hi, I'm Carisse. I promised my roommate I wouldn't come home without a picture. Err...so I have braces right now...which can make for awkward pictures...I've found it best to just own it and smile as big as I can...would you mind doing the same? Thanks."

Just like that, in the smallest of moments, my time in line was up and I was in full sprint back to my seat. FAIL. What about the appreciation? What about the chance to share my story? What about asking a question?! What about the babies?!!!!

Here it is folks. My grand moment. I think we are getting warmer in assembling clues to the mystery of my adult single-hood.

...........






Going to the Portland, Storyline Conference was incredibly beneficial for me for two reasons. First, I am at a crossroads in my life barely explicable. I've been circling some kind of life change for years now. I've run seven hundred marathons on the hamster wheel that is my ten month work schedule and frankly...I'm tired. My life probably holds more security now than even my infant swaddling blanket and what do I have to show for it? Confusion. Boredom. Loneliness. Rebellion. Gratitude. Fear.

Storyline is hard to explain to those who have already decided its a self help conference. It's not a self help conference. Its a gathering of people who want more out of the ninety or less years we get on this planet. It's for those who want to watch a better movie when the credits of their life roll, than say, the story of the person who ran the same rat race every single day for thirty-five years and then finally got to live in a pretty house and do nothing but sit on their duff and watch TV. Who wants to watch that movie?! Nobody! Because a person working so hard for decades in order to get to a place where they do absolutely nothing is NOT a good story. Yet, that's what so much of the world considers a success. Sad.

Basically, if I had to minimize the fire-hydrant I tried to drink from at Storyline, and narrow it down to a nut-shell-sized fountain for you to look at, here is how I would describe it;
Storyline is an elaborate, systemic, beautiful, brainstorming session to see the potentials God has woven into each individual.





The second reason this Portland trip was so lovely, was because this was the first trip I have ever taken by myself. I've traveled a little bit in my lifetime, but usually with friends by my side, or at least a familiar face at the end of the baggage claim. Funny now, how uncertain I was about going alone. Not that I couldn't handle being alone. I actually adore being alone sometimes. I'm with kids for 8+ hours a day and live with another person and a puppy so yeah, sometimes having quiet time is welcomed with open arms. However, I was only alone on this trip when I chose to be. God provided all the social settings conducive to meeting, and combined with my curious nature I was given new friends at every turn.

It began with a Pastor who sat in my row after a connecting flight in Kansas City that overheard me talking bout Storyline. After discovering we were both attending the same conference and staying at the same hotel, I was offered a free ride straight to the Crystal. Later that night I walked into Henry's Tavern at the beginning of the 7th inning to finish the Ranger game and who is sitting next to me at the bar? A friendly Australian brewer in town for business who then bought me two more rounds, insisting my uneducated palette find the difference between local brews. I randomly seated myself next to these two ladies (pictured below) during the first session and continued to dine and process with them for the rest of the conference. On my last night I went to try Cassidy's, suggested by the hotel front desk, and tasted the very best tomato soup and grilled with four cheeses sandwich in the history of ever. There, I befriended a sweet couple from Seattle, one of which was actually from Ireland, turns out they have extreme respect for teachers...so when I go to pull out my credit card and pay for my meal, the bartender says, "Oh they already took care of it". Thank you SO much sweet, Seattle couple with the Irish husband. I will never be numb to the kindness of strangers.



As if all of this wasn't already enough to make my cup runneth over. Do you KNOW who Bob Goff is? For crying out loud. That man is the most entertaining and sensitive soul I've ever encountered for fifteen minutes. His stories are inspirational and I am so anxious to begin the FREE copy of his new book he graciously gave us as seen below. I'm sure, in time, he will be centered around a whole new blog.





So there you have it. My brief perspective of the best decision I ever made to take three days off work. Farewell Portland. You're like the artistic and cool boyfriend I always wanted.