Monday, May 28, 2012

EAST COAST Preliminary Itinerary

The reason I am terrible at USA geography is because I cheated on my United States test in Mrs.Clubine's 4th grade class. I slipped through a geography crack in the system and I remember this vividly. She let us sit on the floor if we needed to see the overhead projector better. So me and my blind eyes marched down to the front complete with my Social Studies book "to write on". A few quick peaks in my book later and I had an 'A' on the test and not a clue as to what states go where. Did you know Idaho is in the west? I would have bet my next paycheck it was close to Michigan or something. You would think High School would have saved me in this realm but I had a coach for Geography that talked about Kathy Ireland all the time and let us color. College? I majored in push-ups.

Therefore friends, I have come up with a Preliminary Itinerary for a road trip down the East Coast USA this summer. Let me just say, NOTHING is set in stone. All I know for sure is that we will fly to Portland, Maine on June 20th and end in Miami on July 3rd. And, I want to go to a Red Sox game. Everything else is up in the air and will be subject to majority vote. You'll see the VERY BARE BONES of a plan at the end of this post. Don't worry, I'll buy a Lonely Planet book and we'll make discoveries along the way!

Want to come along? PLEASE DO! Here is what you need to know. I'll be renting a car in Maine, driving to Miami and turning it in. We will split everything evenly and try to stay with friends and avoid hotels as much as possible so call your friends now. A car holds 4 people comfortably, 5 if we need to. Therefore if the car is $40/day and we have 4 people riding, they will pay $10/day plus split gas (so have some cash and make things easy). I want to try to do as many FREE things as possible like hiking, swimming and photos...but, I'm not opposed to things like paying for an expensive meal at Gordon Ramsey's restaurant in NYC just because.

From Maine to Washington DC the line up already includes:

 ME (professional road tripper...clearly)



 LUKE (Aussie friend-top right),



and MELANIE(Philippine friend...special).




 That means we have 1 (or 2) more seats open in our car for the first week of the trip. You are welcome to meet us in city, come for a day, come for a weekend, come for 5 days, whatever you want! Dates in places are subject to what we want. We'll pick you up and drop you off at whatever airport necessary.

From DC to Miami so far its JUST little ole' me in the car which means I have 3-4 spots left there if you'd like to hop on for any part. This whole thing is going to be awesome. Can't wait! First come, first served. So drop me a line if you are even interested and I'll help you iron out the details. Seventeen states to check off!

Tentatively;

MAINE -June 20th
Cape Cod, Lobster Rolls

NEW HAMPSHIRE-June 20

VERMONT-June-20

MASSACHUSETTS-June-21-22
Red Sox vs. Braves Baseball Game, Bull &Finch bar where Cheers was filmed, Smallest bar in the world, Salem, Boston Tea Party, Harvard, Shannah lives here!

RHODE ISLAND-June 23

CONNETICUT-June 23

NEW YORK-June 23-24
Melody lives here! Drink frozen hot chocolate at Serendipity, play in Central Park, eat at Gordon Ramsey’s restaurant, the Hamptons, Apostles NYC church, (we have to talk about Niagra Falls because its about 7hrs the wrong direction)

NEW JERSEY-June 24
Jersey Shore rides, Atlantic City

PENNSYLVANIA-June 24
Philadelphia Cheesesteaks, climb the stairs from Rocky films, Liberty Bell

DELAWARE-June 24

MARYLAND-June 24-26
My brother lives here!, Melanie leaves us in Baltimore, Ace of Cakes, Edgar Allen Poe’s home,

WASHINGTON DC-June 26-28
Luke leaves from here, Smithsonian(free!), White House, Segway tour, Jason Grassie lives here!

VIRGINIA-June-28
See Richmond, Charlie lives here!

NORTH CAROLINA-June-29
Last of the Mohicans and Hunger Games were filmed here, Turtleback Falls the place I camped for Hitchiking Race is here, lots of hiking,

SOUTH CAROLINA-June 30
Ryan Adams was born in Jacksonville?, hiking,

GEORGIA-July 1st
Savannah, Tybee Island, Paula Dean Restaurant

FLORIDA-July 2-3
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter World, Miami.