Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Carisse 2.0

Today I bought a pencil skirt. FROM TARGET! And its awesome. And it was 1/3 the cost of what the Gap was offering. I've decided I want to look much more professional at work. For the last two years I've warn Darby and Teal's hand-me-downs that I have yet to hem to my personal height. So I've simply rolled them up at the cuff daily and blended in easily with the crowd of 13yr. olds. I'm sure there has to be some points lost on the respect scale for dressing so close to kid style, as if they were my peers.

As I sifted through adult clothes in the galleria today, I felt a bit of an embrace with my age. You see, ever since I left that wonderful year of 25 where I gave up a bunch of stuff and followed my wanderlust to Australia...well...I began this huge boxing match with the number that befalls my age. I've all but beaten that number to a bloody pulp, attempting to somehow thwart the schemes of the big 3-0 so close on my horizon. Until today. Today, from the simple task of walking through stores, I realized, I'm kind of a woman!

I'm kind of free to make every choice on my own. Free to get on a plane and go anywhere in the world. Free to wear heels and drink wine and stay up all night! And, something as silly as shopping got me to thinking...if I can change something as small as my wardrobe at work, maybe I could change some other things as well? Not in a selling my soul kind of way, but more in an emerging from the cocoon out of the pupal stage way!

When Jeremy used to want to change something about himself, (or at least convince me that he had), he would use the statement, "No, no, that was old Jeremy. But THIS is Jeremy 2.0!"

Thats kind of how I feel. So i've started a list in my pocket of old skins that might be fun to shed. And the first one is:

#1. Buy a pencil skirt and look like an adult....CHECK! Whats next?!








For your listening pleasure. Here is a song by The Low Anthem that I have listened to in my car on repeat. They were even better live!!!!