Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Ode to Robert Frost


"Two roads diverge in a wood, and I- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference"

Classic, clip of poetry. Perhaps overused, but true all the same. Exploration might be the word to sum up our last few days. The story begins with our new friend Jason Grassie. We didn't know him at all, but he went to ACU, we have mutual friends, and made contact through facebook. God bless the internet. He lives in Sydney but was coming to our neck of the woods so we decided to introduce him to adventures of Shaster and Clarice. Unexpectedly(and probably because he's a boy), but welcomed enthusiastically, ...he opened up new and refreshing adventures for US. I've never seen someone so aware of their surroundings. He knows a lot about plants, and is in a perpetual state of leaving the beaten path...and therefore this trip was different. We love our new bestie Jason and are forever grateful to the God who knows exactly what we need, even beyond physical provision. This is Grassie chasing a wild turkey. Haha! Had to be there.
We hired a car and surprisingly, driving on the right side of the car and the left side of the road is no big deal. And, where I once mocked the roundabouts, I have now made peace and thoroughly enjoy them. The only thing left to conquer will be the stickshift up and down the mountains of New Zealand! Ugh!
We went hiking on a trail in Lamington National Park and got to see the coolest waterfall, blue tongued lizards, and a snake along the way. As we got closer to the sound of the water rushing the rocks, we went off the trail and climbed over to the very top of the waterfall. Did I mention I'm a super scared sally on top of heights? However, I never regret experiencing them. The top was beautiful.
We stopped by a vineyard on our way back but were too cheap to pay for tasting. Went to O'Malley's Irish Pub when we got back to Surfer's Paradise. "Pub Steaks" are cheap specials on Monday nights and we enjoyed trying each of our different Tooheys. After a little coffee on the beach we decide to take a drive down the Gold Coast. However, being the Triumvirate of storytellers that we are...when we finally get around to looking at a map, the new decision to hunt and claim Byron Bay is made.

We arrive in the quaint little surf-town, climb out on the rocks to watch the tide come in...just long enough to rack the nerves with a "how creepy is the deep ocean?" talk. Now comes the part where I fulfill a dream and check it off my list...WE SLEPT IN THE CAR! Which is illegal according to the cashier at the petrol station, and we were in small 4-door Nissan...but we went ahead and parked it, reclined the seats, a gained a few hours sleep with a collection of stiff knees and backs.

We woke up at 4:30 am, stopped by THE best bakery I've ever seen, literally, open 23hrs/day (i was raving about this place for both its delectable presentation and taste), got some breakfast and backed up the car to the ocean to watch the sunrise. Only it was rainy and overcast so instead we watched the surfers and sea kayakers do their thing (which looks really cool).We explored around the Byron Bay Lighthouse for a little while and were able to see several whales pop up in the ocean, took some photos and then back to Surfer's Paradise for a game of soccer on the beach. Girls vs. boys. This left Jason with some nasty bruising, and I'm pretty sure we won, or not...but I know my calves pain running in sand, and I never look all graceful and Baywatchy...I look like I'm getting nowhere on a treadmill...with new prosthetic legs.

We wrapped everything up with a trip to the Sushi Train. I never thought I liked sushi but turns out I do! All except the sick caviar one I was forced to try. Then, we, the Triumvirate, got a case of the meat sweats, spit the winkle a while, returned to Brissy and Bob's your uncle. Great trip. Hopefully surfing next weekend if weather permits!!!