Tuesday, November 20, 2007

T-Day

Monday: Went surfing again and was reminded how the ocean hates me. I'm cool with it though, I expect a peace treaty in the future. Surfing is technical for sure, but thats not the hard part. Most of my rashes/bruises/scars come during the process of just getting out into the waist deep water to prepare myself for the oncoming waves. Its a fight between me and the sea to get out there. With every oncoming wave I get served a punch in the face with a side of a condition I've named, "salt-water-fire-throat". It's as if mother nature is saying, "...and THATS for polluting me, and THATS for building on my beaches, and...", eventually I might actually get to stand up a few times during the couple hours that I put up with this...and its all worth it.

Tuesday: My first, so very, very, special Aussie Thanksgiving. The day of the year Americans have set aside to be aware of their blessings and express gratitude and appreciation. I LOVE eating at a table full of people. I love a big noisy house. We had a ton of people there (as seen below) and the Porters/Wilsons went above and beyond to make this meal perfect. Andrea set up a big long table in her house so that we could all eat together, and as it happened...there were just enough seats for everyone who showed up. Shasta and I had to work yesterday morning and there was no way we could have prepared everything ourselves, so we were blessed to have all the reinforcements we could ask for. Holly even made menus!

This is actually my favorite holiday of the year because I love eating together more than presents. Literally. I think having a meal together is such a family-building event. Preparing it, being at the table, cleaning up afterwards...it just brings everyone closer. Shasta and I have been talking about how we would love to have a standard sunday meal at our future apartment in Texas...what a great way to get to know people.

During dessert we made everybody go around and say what they were thankful for. Where do I even begin on this one? God has given me more than I've ever asked for, and definitely more than I deserve. He's even given me more than I could have dreamed of, more than I ever even knew I needed or wanted. I'm so thankful for the basics: I'm healthy, I have a roof over my head and too much food in my mouth. I am provided for everywhere I go on earth. I have the most thoughtful mom in the world, a daddy who loves me to "hug his neck", 2 brothers who would bury anyone who crossed me, and I am absolutely in love with my Grandpa, my sister-in-laws, and my nieces/nephew.

My friends have also become families to me: The friends I grew up with who know me best and will never leave me. My 6 chicks who I'd take a bullet for. My homegroup girls that help me analyze life. My deep ellum girls that keep me laughing and awake past bedtime. All my boyfriends; the two Jeremy's, the Paco, the Kyle, the Hudson, the Marc (who I still barely know but strangely completely consider him a bestie!). My cvc peeps and clients who tolerate my moods anywhere from 10-40hrs/week. My new Australian family: The church, my co-workers/pub friends, Grassie......Now that I've gone through a list of shout-outs, basically I just adore every person in my life...and if I dont tell you enough...I love you and am so thankful you exist, and that I get to be a part of your lives.

I'm grateful for the freedom that allows me to explore the world...that we have planes and passports that give me the gifts of pressing my toes in the sand, or standing over waterfalls...or meet a chef who spends 70+ hrs/week in the kitchen, or a house wife that opens up her home and family to share with me. I'm so thankful for prayer, and I'm thankful that He listens. I am grateful that He is there, even during all my questioning, only later to see my life as a net He's been stitching together all the while.


Here's Miriam again (a.k.a. cutest baby ever)
Two of the chefs from work came too. Have you ever made a meal for TWO professional chefs? It's kinda like showing the construction paper watercolor you made to Picasso.
See...heaps of people. What a great night!

And yet again...my cup overflows.