Friday, September 17, 2010

Ambitions

So...Zambia fell through...for a multitude of reasons. It's ok though. Sometimes i wonder if God puts decisions before us just to see what we would say? Or maybe He's leading me to just start thinking about working with teachers in undeveloped countries? who knows?

On a different note, i went to a teacher training all day yesterday and had a volleyball game last night. This was the best training I have been to. It made me really excited about being a teacher...and when i noticed I didn't get to go home at 3pm like everyone else, but had to go back to the school and coach until 9pm...I realized a few things.

First, this utterly reinforced the notion that I have NO desire to be a coach. Whatsoever. I DO enjoy training people athletically. Thats why I majored in Kinesiology. I DO enjoy that I don't need a lesson plan for 1st and 7th period athletics everyday. I DO enjoy that I get to know a handful of girls each year on a deeper level than other teachers. However, that is where the perks end. The CONS list is unmentionably lengthy.

Most people start as middle school coaches because they are trying to get their foot in the door to become a high school coach. Not this girl! I took the coaching gig to gain a job. I want to be a GREAT teacher! Like Dead Poets Society Great. Like Freedom Writers Great. Like make a difference GREAT! I don't want to go into Admin or counseling. I just want to be teacher of the year and have my kids intellects through the roof. I want to possibly get a masters degree in Curriculum Design and use that to help teachers be better teachers...once I figure out how to do that myself. I want to have experience teaching various subjects and grades!

I've also been looking into photography classes. There are a lot of ways I could use that. I've had this dream for a long time to start a travel magazine that people like myself would read. Have you ever read a travel magazine? They suck, and are for rich people, and their articles could be written by high schoolers. I also wouldn't mind dabbling in some wedding photography? Or learning how to be good at action photography. Candid photography.

And maybe I've been watching too much L.A. Ink, but lately I've really been wanting to learn how to draw well. Like portraits. I've always been pretty good at copying stuff, and mom always told me I should do something with art. So I've also entertained the notion of starting a small greeting card business on the side. I think of them all the time, with pictures I take and ideas in my head.

Maybe its my right brain on overdrive...but i feel the need to create.

Wow this is nothing but ramblings today.