Monday, September 27, 2010

Move



This is a band new to me that opened for my friend Ryan in "Smile Smile" this weekend. They are called "Air Review" and I love them, and they're awesome, and they're from here!

In other news, I'm seriously thinking about moving out of the metroplex. And yes, I do dream of this often with my heavy case of wanderlust. But i've lived here my whole life with the tiny exception of 5 years in abilene (still texas), and a few months in Oz. I think its just too familiar to me and I need to explore. Someone recently said to me, "...I guess a truly happy person can be happy anywhere?". And don't get me wrong, its not that I'm unhappy. I like my life here. I have great friends and a good job and a nice house. It's hard to explain, but I just kind of feel like it might be time to move on. Not at all that I'm unhappy, more like...I feel my curiosity of living away from here growing.

I dont even know where I would go. I tell foreigners all the time that Austin is my favorite town in Texas...so how come I don't live there? Sometimes I wonder if I might really enjoy it there. Its still in Texas so it fits with my teaching certification already. I have several friends that live there. Their live music scene is huge? I love the atmosphere and all the outdoor opportunities there. Or what about california? I know I wouldn't want to raise kids there so isn't that sort of a now or never kind of place? I feel like I grow a lot from being around Jane and Toby. Perhaps somewhere like Portland just to try it out? Or anywhere along the west coast really?

I just dont want to ever be the person that "wonders what it would be like" if I can help it. I want to be the person that does it and has stories to show for it. My super short stint in Australia is one of the best decisions I've ever made to date. Maybe its time for another?

I DO feel stuck here for about another 1.5 years. Maybe thats where all of this is coming from, the feeling of entrapment. But I chose to buy this house, and the government gave me $8000 for FREE just for doing that. So i took that money and paid off my car, and bought a refrigerator, and painted my house inside and out, and went to Asia. So that money is gone. All I had to do was buy a house and committ to living in it as my primary residence for three years. And no, money is not that important, but it is nice to have some to spend how I choose. And I feel that it would be silly and frivolous to pay the government $8000 back, just so I can move one year early.

Lots to think about. I'm just not sure if I want to be thirty years old, in my home town, with roomates, and a thirty minute commute to work.