Friday, December 24, 2010

Machines that get from A to B

When I was 16 my dad graciously bought me a '93 Mitsubishi Eclipse for $8000. I don't remember that thing having very many problems, and I drove it for 7 years until it died. When I graduated college I bought a used 2003 Saturn Vue for $13000. Over the last 5 years of ownership, I've put at minimum $3000 of "fixing" into that piece of crap and then it finally died, unexpectedly, this past Tuesday...so its sort of like I bought it for $16000 if you look at it that way. So now I have to car shop again. Some people like this sort of thing, but I don't. Most purchases, especially major ones, stress me out. We're talking about giving up a huge chunk of my hard earned money, for a necessity based on where I live...but I'd much rather spend that money on a trip or something. I would also prefer to not have to pay for electricity and taxes while we're at it.

So I've rented a car until Monday, to have the weekend to decide how to remedy my situation. Here are my options.

I could:

A) Move to a wonderful place like Australia that has public transport where I don't need a car
(but I happen to like my job and must at least finish out the year)

B) Buy a cheap used car that has lots of miles on it and will put me directly back into this same dilemma sooner than I would like
(but my Saturn experience has turned my blood into molten magma at the moment for used cars)

C) Buy a new Honda. Because Honda's are supposed to last forever and there are some pretty affordable deals out there on new cars at this time of year and in this economy.
(I swore to myself a long time ago that I would never buy a new car because that is what yuppies do...and I sir/madam am NO yuppie)

So the best options that I could find on my teeny, tiny schedule...over the CHRISTMAS holiday are the following:

Introducing the Honda Fit.
It's supposed to get 28/33 miles per gallon.
It's cheaper.
More room in there than you think, my 6'2 bro was comfortable in the back seat.
Only been on the market since 2007.
Has some kind of extra sport gear that I don't care about.
No sunroof. :( 
(I love sunroofs and use them often. I would drive a station wagon with wood trim if it had a sunroof and good transmission/gas mileage)




OR the Honda CRV.
It's supposed to get 21/28 miles per gallon.
Its a little more expensive.
I have friends with this car who love it.
They've been around for like 10 years with good reviews.
Sunroof. :)
SIX disc CD changer. (not necessary...but Awesome.)



So what to do friends? Looking at these pictures, I think the Fit looks more fun...but that might be because its shown here in red vs. the gray, which is more aesthetically pleasing. But both of these vehicles are available in black which is what I would like. I fully intend to drive whichever of these until it dies...because that's what I do...I take cars in like puppies and play with them for as many years as they have left in them. Perhaps I am known as the black widow to cars, and they shutter in fear when I roll on to a lot? Or maybe its more of a rescue situation. Like, "Thanks for taking me out of this parking lot where I sit all day and drive the same stretch of highway when teenagers stop by". Well cars, you're welcome. Now which one of you wants to go home with mama?