Monday, December 13, 2010

My photography business needs a clever name.



When I was in high school I really wanted to take a photography class my senior year...but I was told I was too late and apparently I was supposed to have camped outside the sign up door the night before in order to get in. Fail.

In college as a freshman meeting with my advisor, right away when asked what I'd like to take for my art credit I said, "Photography please! Its my dream!". My advisor sounded like this was no problem so you can imagine my glee. Only later he came back and said, "sorry...ONLY communications majors get to take photography". Fail.

At some point I inherited my brother's old Pentax and began playing around with that. But it wasn't digital. A) Get with the times, and B) I didn't have money to play around with a hobby too much.

After college I finally bought myself a little digital Kodak camera so I would have something to capture my VERY FIRST time to California when I went to stay with Jane and Toby. That was in October 2006. I have no idea why I remember that. It cost $100 and I had to teach 4 extra spin classes that month in order to buy it.I loved it, that thing works awesome. Probably better than the Olympus I have now!

The problem with being a self-taught anything is that you need motivation...and in this particular hobby-case...a bit of money. So now I'm finally about to get my wish! I got myself 8 photography lessons for my birthday present to myself starting in January! I CANNOT WAIT!

Its just a regular digital camera class so I don't need to go buy a DSLR...yet. AND they teach you about Photo-shop and how to improve your pictures. Let's just face it...I enjoy being taught. Perhaps there's an element in there as to why I also enjoy teaching. I'm not a risk-taker when it comes to fooling around with expensive equipment...I'd rather know what I'm doing, and why and how, first. So I've got a beginner class, that will hopefully open the door for workshops and intern type things.

The above picture is some work from this girl in Louisiana, Kelly Moore. I LOVE her work. I stumbled upon her on face book one day. Once I find photographers, of any kind, on face book...I can spend hours just looking at their work.

I feel like I see pictures in my mind's eye all the time...but I'm frustrated that I can't work my contraption well enough to get that image out of my head and into a matted frame. Who knows? Perhaps I will be awful at this? I'm definitely not about to quit my day job...but if I'm good at this...it could be a perfect side business with all the time off teaching allows me.

Just another dream I'd like to see come true.