Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Judgement

The roomie and I made queso, got out blankets, and prepared ourselves for the Grammy's. I LOVE the Grammy's and the Oscars. I love seeing what everyone is wearing, I love the performances, and I love when my team wins. These are my super bowls. Because the actual Superbowl...means nothing to me. I could attempt to look cool and pretend like I know anything about football or teams...but I would not succeed. However, if a band I like wins a Grammy...I am filled with pride and happiness for them...I imagine this is how sports fans feel about "their" teams. You don't know the team personally. You don't play sports yourself. You definitely have no say in their coaching and you may not even live in the area where they come from...but they're "your team" and you get excited when they win and sad when they lose. Even though you had no part of it outside of spectator. Well that's how I feel about bands and movies and musicians and actors.

The Grammy's disappointed me this year. I was solely watching for Mumford & Sons, and Eminem. Most of the performances I would have rather read a book during. Bmx bikers don't belong on stage. Arcade Fire I wish you had played, "Wake Up". Muse, stop using so many lasers. Does anybody still living even remotely like Barbra Streisand anymore? She's so terrible.
 But I liked Cee Lo and Gwyneth. I liked Miranda Lambert. Some of Usher's dance was entertaining, but that was about it for this year. I was even a little disappointed in Eminem...probably because I don't enjoy Rhianna, but also because he didn't do a song from Recovery. I still like him though. I'm always interested in people who can rise up from their own ashes.

Mumford & Sons however...NEVER disappointing. So what if Bob Dylan lost a vocal chord or two over the last few decades?...Mumford still looked as happy as ever to share a stage with the legend, and be performing at such a huge award show. My love for them is three-fold: 1) They are each really great musicians and can all play various instruments. 2) Their lyrics seem Biblically influenced. 3) They might be the most seemingly humble band I've ever seen live...helping their roadies, constantly thanking everyone involved in the show, bringing the opening unknown bands back for their entire encore.



Also, I might be a tad in love with Marcus. I mean...just look at him. And he sings, plays music, British accent running all over the place, big arms, quiet voice, wears vests, writes songs, and runs the book club portion of their website. I'm smitten.