Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Plans

Why yes I DID take self pictures during the snow storm. And yes, I realize I've reached a new level of vanity when I decide to take pictures of myself. But I like playing with my camera settings. And, my roomates get all squirmy about being "models". So there you go.

I'm about to share ideas that have weighed heavy on my mind lately. I'm not trying to be talked out of these. Would it be SUCH a terrible idea to move away? Is that the WORST thing I could possibly do? Ya, I might hate it? So then I move back. Ya I might lose all my money? So then I make more later. I've spent my whole life doing exactly what I'm supposed to do, in the exact order I'm supposed to do it. Played it safe, over cautious. Shouldn't I be allowed to make my own mistakes? IF they are even mistakes? Most people told me it was an irresponsible move when I talked about Australia...but you know what? That was the best decision I ever made. Those five months were hugely formative to the person I am now. I think the very WORST case scenario would be that I quit teaching for 2-3 years...and then continue to teach for the next...oh 33 years after that? But then I'll have had these experiences and memories in my pocket for those next 33yrs, as opposed to growing up and dying in this place. WORST case scenario I run out of money and have to crash with friends for a little while. Though I don't think I'm naive enough to let that happen. I'm pretty strict and frugal with money.

Plan A~ Most Logical
*Resign in June 2012
*Can legally sell house without owing government any money.
*One year to save money to leave with.
*One year to landscape and perfect the house for selling. Get it on the market.
*One year for roomates to save and make other arrangements.
*Time/money to get certified in several other subjects/grade levels to broaden my resume.
*Travel this summer, Hawaii? Guatemala? Greece? Italy? Africa?
*Travel for my 30th birthday. Hawaii? Australia? New Zealand?
*1.5years to pay off most of my car. (I hate debt of any kind)
*Move to L.A. until spring, for a year, or two years, or a few years?
*Find a room to rent in Hermosa Beach.
*Fulfill my dream of living by the beach, not just visiting.
*Try for a teaching job but willing to take anything available.
*Move to Austin after that because I can see myself settling down there.
*If I don't get out now, a lot can happen in a year and I might be forced to stay here for some reason.
*Stuck here one more year dreaming of other places.
*Don't ever buy a house again unless I'm married.
*Negate the previous bullet if killer lake house in Austin became available :)

Plan B~ Freedom
*Resign THIS June.
*Free my spirit.
*Forced to trust God with the money I wouldn't have.
*Pay the government the money back that they gave me for buying a house.
*Have no idea how long the house will take on the market.
*Stressful. Rushed.
*Roomates wouldn't have much time for alternate arrangements depending on when house sells.
*Wouldn't have to coach for another year.
*Move to Hermosa Beach.
*Move to Austin if L.A. doesn't work out.
*Hopefully forget about Nick with all the newness.
*Take whatever jobs I can get until a teaching position opens up.
*Limited money for this summer, maybe only one trip. Guatemala?
*Limited money for my 30th birthday. Might have to spend money/time off coming home for the holidays.
*A whole new life right away. New job, new place, new friends, new church, NEW TOWN.

Plan C~ Austin
*Could spend June and July renting a room in L.A., OR spend summer traveling. Hawaii? Guatemala? Greece? Italy? Africa?
*Then move straight to Austin in August.
*Would be an easy move, still in Texas, driveable from parents, Texas State Certified already.
*Attempt to find teaching job, but willing to sub or work elsewhere.
*This year or next. Travel situations apply to each. Money situations apply to each.
*Probably need to rent Texas storage unit for stuff during summer in L.A.
*A few possible awesome roomate options available in Austin.
*Live near a new group of singles before I'm (gasp) the wretched 3-0.

I need this. You can try and talk me out of it. But I feel like I need to do this. I've been reading in my Bible Study about how Abram was called out of his hometown. I have to wonder, did he hear an audible voice...or was it more of a gut feeling like I have? This nagging thought always, ALWAYS at the front of my mind. Jane had a good point during our phone conversation the other day. She said, "There's got to be a reason you just won't let this go. Ya know? Like you just WON'T let this idea go." She's right. I've been talking about living in L.A. since 2006. It's now 2011. FIVE whole years of my life have gone by. Australia, teaching career, and heart break. Those are my major life high lights since 2006. What could happen in the NEXT five years if I get out of my comfort zone?