Saturday, April 9, 2011

Captain Random

For two days in a row I administered the TAKS test. I don't know if you've ever sat/walked around staring at the same thing for 7 hours in a row, but it's more exhausting than it sounds. We are not allowed to read, draw, use a computer, grade a paper, nothing but watching kids take test. I snuck in a series of to-do lists I would add to as my mind wandered...and here are a few random thoughts for you.


1. I am such a t-shirt and jeans girl, but that doesn't mean that I don't like dresses. I LOVE dresses. I think girls in dresses look so cool, so I've decided to be one of those girls who wears dresses. And not like someone who wears one so rarely that when you do everyone who knows you is like, "Whooooa who died?". I'd like to intermittently weave them throughout my wardrobe because A) Dresses are pretty and girly and B) In the Texas heat, dresses trump shorts any day because it's sort of our gender's getting away with wearing the equivalent of a really long t-shirt around. So I splurged and bought myself two dresses from Target. (I love you Target). Perhaps I will model them for you on a day when I didn't work Saturday school sans shower.


2. Apostrophes are useless. Go ahead and argue with me but you know every time you are about to text, write, or type you secretly, instantly think to yourself..."Dammit apostrophe, now I have to go and feel around for the shift key PLUS wherever the crap YOU are...". Everyone knows what "Dont", "Cant", "Its", all means. That typo never hurt anyone aside from English class. So apostrophe, I see you as pointless and stupid...but I'll still find you, because I'm a rule follower and I despise coming across uneducated.

3. I got Fleet Foxes tickets and am so excited. I love that band. If you get their latest on itunes, my favorites are #3, 8, and 10. I know this because I regularly still listen to cd's in my ipod-absent car.


4. Mowing the yard is something I usually dread and put off, but I don't know why I act this way, because it's sort of relaxing. It gives me time to sort my thoughts and I love the feeling of getting cleaned up after you've been outside working!

5. Parasites was part of the Unit I taught last week. SICK. I almost barfed more than once. I'll spare you from posting pictures of THOSE. But there was a semi-interesting one called the Lancet Liver Fluke. It's a parasite that gets inside the brain of an ant. During the day it allows the ant to frolic and work and make babies and whatever ants do...BUT AT NIGHT, it somehow literally controls the ant's nervous system. And, like a zombie it makes the ant crawl to the top of a blade of grass so that it will be quickly eaten by some sort of herbivore, because herbivores usually feed at night time for safety and I suppose the parasite is intelligent enough to  know the feeding hours of herbivores. Once the parasite is inside the herbivore it goes into it's larval stage. Gross. I had a hard time eating or touching ANYTHING last week.

That's all folks.