Monday, January 16, 2012

My Brother the Hero

Cheapskate, Frugal, Tightwad; these are just some of the words my friends can use to describe me. Funny how I have no problem spending $1,200 on a plane ticket if I want to go somewhere, but will throw a temper tantrum in the middle of an aisle at the cost of laundry detergent. Well...looks like you can also throw "$100-to-cut-and-haul-your-limbs-away" into the category without coupons.

A letter from the city came in the mail ON MY BIRTHDAY telling me I had one week to get the limbs in the street to a "14ft. clearance". I don't have the tools for that business, nor do I have any idea how tall something higher than six feet is, NOR do I have time during the holidays and my work week to have several estimators come out and take a look. So I hired a man who charged an outrageous price to come and cut down four, discussed, limbs; two in the street, one over the house, and one over the driveway. When he tells me that it will be an extra ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS to cut up four limbs and throw them in a truck...well,  you know I put on my girl scout boots and told him to just pile the branches in the backyard and i would use them for firewood.

You can imagine my surprise when I got home after work and THIS was the pile of "four branches" previously discussed...



Good grief Charlie Brown! What the heck am I supposed to do with that? And snakes? or Rats? Ew its only a matter of time!!! So I sent this picture to my wonderful brother Wes with the caption, "Feel like cutting some firewood?"...to which he replied, "...all my cutting stuff is at dad's. Who cut that down?"
So I tell him my sob story and his next reply is, "I'll be there in 2 hours."

Big brothers are the best. I was certainly thankful for mine yesterday. He brought my favorite nephew with him, and me and my roomie got out there...after three hours later we had managed six, 4ft. bundles of limbs and a bunch of firewood. I was thinking I needed a chainsaw or something like that, I even considered going to Lowes to buy one. But, I totally forgot that I had TWO branch cutters (clippers? I dunno) in the shed, and also learned how to make a noose and bullwhip something or other to tie up the bundles. Ginny and I are quite the pioneers now. I can only imagine how horrific the day would have gone, had it just been me and Ginny out there, trying to tackle landscape clean up.


Here are some of the finished bundles, and my bundle of energy nephew...



And here is the rescue team...



Who wants to come over for a fire? I bought one of those outdoor fire pits for my birthday party so I'm excited to use that as well!