Sunday, January 1, 2012

Natchitoches


For the last four years, Alayna, Melanie and I have made some sort of trip for New Year's Eve. Three years ago we got a good deal in Chicago, met Kyle Wheeler and watched fireworks from the pier. Two years ago we stayed with a cousin in Albuquerque, skied for the first time, and played with baby Chase. Last year we opted for a short trip to Austin and had the MOST fun with friends. This year we were crunched for both time and money, weren't sure what to do, so we ended up in Natchitoches, Louisiana.



Originally we had talked about going to New Orleans, however, New Orleans is 4 hours extra hours further east, AND driving those four extra hours would mean and total of EIGHT extra hours in the car. New Year's Eve was last night and I have to work tomorrow so for me, the shorter the better. I had thought about Shreveport but then researched a little further. Natchitoches, pronounced "Nak-a-dish" by locals, was only an hour south of Shreveport...AND it happens to be the filming location of the greatest movie ever, "Steel Magnolias".




My parents live in East Texas. So, Friday afternoon we drove out to their place, rode around their land on the mule and stayed the night. I am really blessed to have such sweet, hospitable parents. The next day we drove to Pittsburgh, Texas to have our picture made with a gigantic Bo Pilgrim breast. Then, on to Natchitoches just in time to get ready for New Year's Eve and meet up with Ginny. The city was beautifully strewn with Christmas lights, we had an awesome Louisiana meal of shrimp and dirty rice at The Landing, and topped the night off with fireworks over the river. It was a beautiful and calm night with some of my favorite friends.




Woke up this morning, had breakfast/lunch at some fantastic place called "Strawns" (I think?) in Shreveport and home in time to rest a little before work tomorrow. Overall another successful NYE. The funny thing is, that NYE has never been a big deal to me. I've never once had a NYE kiss, and most of those nights have ended up just hanging out at some one's house. I feel absolutely no need to take a trip every year, but I do enjoy holding a tradition with besties. That's what its all about.