Saturday, October 27, 2007

Del Fuego

I'm sure I would feel just as helpless if I was in Texas as I do right now, but I've been reading about the California fires and just wish I could do something!!! Jane, Toby are you ok? Is Paul ok? Daniel, Jared, Kellie? We havent even finished cleaning up from Katrina have we?

Wow. I can't believe floods and fires in 3 years. All those people who lost their homes, and all those trees destroyed. I remember feeling this way on September 11th. I just wanted to get in my car and go help. But I was in college, with a thousand excuses, and didn't even know where to begin. Same with Katrina, just wanted to pack a bag and go. But you know something? I never did. Even when we had refugees staying in our stadium in Dallas, 15 minutes away, I didn't go and help. And we can justify this behavior till the cows come home with..., "They have enough volunteers", "there's already too many people there", "I'd just be in the way", "I'd be putting myself in danger", etc... But maybe there is something to that instinct inside us that innately reaches out when another human is suffering? Maybe thats the Spirit we quiet with excuses? Maybe thats the difference between people who have stories to tell and people who read them? And, maybe they are sorted by those who listen to the voice inside and those who suppress it. Ugh I just feel helpless. Keep me posted.