Saturday, October 13, 2007

Ecology



This is Maurice! He's probably my favorite co-worker. He's the head chef at the Seafood Restaurant and is hilaaarious. He cracks me up all day long and I think I shall put him in my suitcase and bring him back to America. This is also a picture of an Oleander flower, because there are SO many pretty plants around the city now that its springtime. Our agricultural friend Victoria, just told me this flower is extremely poisonous.

On a completely different note lets talk about my thoughts for this evening. Upon recommendation we saw "11th Hour" produced by Leonardo DeCaprio. I'd need to see this movie another 6 or 7 times to understand everything. I found it overwhelming with facts and images and a lot to take in on a late Sunday night, but it still got me thinking about changes I want to make in my life. The best quote I can remember from the movie was, "Frugality is not poverty. Frugality is the wise use of resources."

1. Vanity-...My hair has not seen a straightener since August and you know what?...I'm still alive, the world has not stopped turning. In November it will have been one year since I decided to start cutting my own hair and its actually not too bad. I'm not saying I'll never use a stylist again, I'm just saying at $65 for a decent girl haircut...well I just think I spend money on unnecessary luxuries.

2. Fashion-...I brought one suitcase and a backpack here and did you know that there are about 4 shirts I haven't even worn yet on this trip? What does this tell me?...That I don't need a closet full of clothes. I need a few clothes, enough to get me from one laundry to the next, but no more. And when those clothes get holes in them I should; patch them, re-invent them, or give them. Leaving them in my closet for a few more years out of sentimentality is not an option. I'd actually really like to learn to make some of my own clothes! Not just to reduce mindless shopping, but for creativity as well, the lost art. ALSO eliminating fear that I might be supporting some child labor in a sweatshop somewhere.

3. Produce-...I am interested in making the effort to attend farmers markets on a regular basis and buying local produce. I'd also like to learn and buy only the produce that is actually in season. It's kind of absurd to eat produce out of season and geographic location isn't it? And if I live in an apartment I wonder how much I would be able to grow myself? Not only to eat organically, but also to be able to watch things grow and develop a green thumb. My grandpa had a green thumb, and my parents have a big garden at their house, so my genes should be able to pull something off.

If I was super rich I might look into electric cars and solar paneled houses but since I am currently a backpacker, I think I'll be doing my part to pay more for the eco-friendly electricity company, or be conscious of water usage and recycling. Maybe I'll look into riding the Dallas bus system when I get back and compare and contrast it's costs with my car? If the Dart was good enough for my dad for 35 years, it should be good enough for me...I'm not about to turn into a hippie that burns incense and stops shaving...However, I do think we have a responsibility to the limitless expansion we seem to think we have unending resources for. I also believe there are alternate reasons for living more like a tree hugger...like when did convenience become the ONLY method? Sure its convenient and nice to be able to buy a skirt off the rack quickly for an interview the next day...but there is also great reward in creating a sewing accomplishment. There is nothing wrong with grabbing things from the grocery store...but why not throw away the lazy excuse and get our hands dirty in the soil, be educated about seasons and rainfall? Living a life that is slower, might also be richer?

Instead of waiting 15 minutes before my work shift to leave my apartment, get in my car, drive like a maniac, get angry at anyone in my way, and then apologize for being late...what if I left much earlier, took advantage of public transit, and read a few pages of a book on the way there, maybe meet someone new, not to mention a little extra walking that burns extra calories? There is beauty in creativity, beauty in slowing down, beauty in embracing nature over controlling it. No wonder I am so impatient all the time! No wonder I have the attention span of a gnat! Today I can have anything I want whenever I want it...and because of this I have thrown all discipline and frugality out the window. I use because it's there and not because I need. I think God is teaching me just how okay it is to slow down. I don't have to be the best, most successful, or trendy. Matt. 6:26 is repeatedly teaching me about the lilies in the field and how they are pretty naturally, because He made them, without anything added. I can only pray to learn to live like the sparrows, who don't have refrigerators or Walmart's, but continually have things to eat and places to sleep each day of their entire lifespan. For those of you who haven't read Shasta's insightful blog, she brought to my attention that we have not paid for a single night's stay since we've been here. We've also cooked for people and been cooked for a LOT. Lilies and sparrows...connected with nature and aware of a sight we have lost.