Sunday, November 28, 2010

Photoriffic



Free time is SUCH a blessing. Especially in a world where people work too much. So I've been thinking a lot about how to spend my upcoming free-time. I think it was a pretty good idea to spend a few days in Nashville over this Thanksgiving break. But now I have 2 weeks at Christmas, 1 week in march, and about 8 weeks in the summer that I can do whatever with!!

One of the bazillion options I was looking at this summer was Oxford. I've always wanted to go to England, and even more so recently with Harry Potter and Mumford and Sons being on my brain. I've also always been interested in Ireland and Scotland! Did you know its less than $200 to fly round trip from London to Dublin?? So I was looking up Oxford University and pumped that they have plenty of "continuing education" courses in the summer for people just like me! People that like to learn, but don't want a degree, and maybe want to poke around London for a bit.

However, after sifting through all their available courses, the only one that really peaked my interest was one about Jane Austen's heroines. Which would be cool, but not sure how valuable that knowledge would be for me. I ALSO found an incredibly awesome Creative Writing class called "Effective Writing 3:Life Writing"!!! This one would have been amazeballs except for the fact that its the first 2 weeks in may (when im teaching) AND its already full.

So then I got to thinking...
I AM still interested in London...
I've also been wanting to take a photography class...
I've also always wanted to see Hawaii...
I also understand that media and film are kind of a big deal in Los Angeles...

hmmm perhaps I could use spring break or summer-time to take a photography class in one of these fun places? It would be something to do while I'm there, a way to meet people, and a great excuse for looking like a tourist with a camera growing out of my eyeball.

Or maybe I do just wanna find something here? People keep shoving camera books in my face, but I'm a pretty kinetic learner. I would rather pay someone to show me what the buttons mean, how lighting works, what photoshop is...than spend a lot of trial and error time figuring it out myself.
Well this certainly excites me! The sooner the better!