Monday, September 24, 2007

Insane in the Membrane

Let us recap the events of yesterday in anticipation that new evidence might be uncovered.

I get dressed, put on my watch, look at the time and see 10:45am. I then walk to the post office to retrieve my wonderfully thoughtful package from my wonderfully thoughtful mother and again look at my watch, 11am. Not bad timing. I skip home with my package and as I turn onto our street I look at my watch which now says, 11:15am. Pleased with my results of a 30 minute walk.

Fate would have both Shasta and I on a day off of work yesterday as we quickly get dressed and hurry to the station to catch the next train to a little city we explored and conquered called Surfer's Paradise. In the mad rush out of the apartment I said and I quote, "Ah! I can't find my watch, I guess I don't need it today anyway."

Today I cannot find my watch. Somewhere in the 10minutes between coming home and leaving, my watch is lost all alone to fend for itself. I've ransacked the apartment and now my only conclusion is that my watch was secretly one of the 7 horcruxes Harry Potter has not thought of, and Voldemort must have had a Death Eater break into our apartment during the daytime. This is probably unlikely though...Death Eaters are sort of night time beings.

What is it that makes us feel the brinks of insanity when we lose something? I kept up with my last watch for 4 years, and when it finally died (R.I.P.) I just bought this new one about a month before I came. Timex, indiglo-included, ironman, velcro strap. Though we've had little time together, that watch had already become the electronic extension of my arm providing me comfort in the knowledge of time whether necessary or not. Maybe God is teaching me a modern-day parable of the Lost Coin? Maybe this will be made into a movie starring me as myself and my husband to be played by Paul Walker? In any event, I hate losing things because I feel crazy. I'm going to let all of this go now and rush to work...watchless. There might be chaos and we should all expect the world to stop turning.

Blogger isnt letting me post pics right now. You'll just have to wait to see the picture of the old lady on the beach with her metal detector and fanny-pack, I thought it was funny.