Tuesday, August 28, 2007

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough...

Hello. My name is Carisse. Im 25, I have a degree, and I work in a bakery...

When I went in for this position I had sort of fantasized that I would be just like Maggie Gyllenhaal in "Stranger Than Fiction" if I worked in a bakery. And all day I would knead dough and sprinkle things, and whistle whilst I work. But in actuality, I mostly run the cash register and guess at which coins are worth $2 and which pastries are called tarts. Not quite as cool as Maggie, but $17/hr should be enough to save up and spend my last 3 weeks overseas traveling. It feels like I'm back in High School working at the coffee shop with Paco, except no Paco, or volleyball practice, or capri-suns.

Did I mention the sun has decided to shine on us and the spring weather here is PERFECT now? Today I went and read near the river, about 1 minute from my work, and it was beautiful. The perfect temp, with the perfect amount of wind, sitting in the perfect amount of shade. And those are my toes in case you forgot what they looked like.

I wanted to share something I read today from Donald Miller, I liked it and relate:

"I tend to think life is about security, that when you have a full year's rent, you can rest. I worry about things too much, I worry about whether or not my ideas are right, I worry about whether or not people like me, I worry about whether or not I am going to get married, and then I worry about whether or not my girl will leave me if I do get married...perhaps because I bought into Houston {or Dallas}, one thousand square miles of concrete and strip malls and megachurches and cineplaxes, none of it real. I mean it is there, it is made of matter, but it is all hype...it feels like we are supposed to be panicking about things...and because of this there doesn't seem to be any peace; there isn't any serenity...we can only panic about the clothes we wear, panic about the car we drive, all the while we feel the need for new furniture and a new television and a bigger house in the right neighborhood. We drive around in a trance, salivating for Starbucks while that great heaven sits above us, and that beautiful sunrise is happening in the desert, and all those mountains out West are collecting snow on the limbs of their pines, and all those leaves are changing colors out East." --Through Painted Deserts

It's time for me to explore, use all my 5 senses, and slow-down enough to read the pages of my life that are being written as we speak!